Brain Awareness Week 2018
The Hellenic Society for Neuroscience is planning the following events for Brain Awareness Week 2018.
- Generai Lyceum of Pelopio, ileia, Peloponnese, January 16th 2018
- 1st Experimental Lyceum of Athens, Attica, January 2018
- 12th Generai Lyceum of Patras, Achaia, Peloponnese, February 2018
- Junior High School of .Karatoula, ileia, Peloponnese, February 20th 2018
- 21st Junior High School of .Patras, Achaia, Peloponnese February 2018
- Junior High School of Saint Vasileios, Saint Vasileios,Peloponnese, March 2018
The students of the above Schools will have the opportunity to visit the laboratory of Human and Animal Physiology of the University of Patras, The visit will include a “power point” presentation on the basic of how our brain works, observation of brain sections at the microscope and an exhibition of a behavioural test.
Target audience: ~300 students
- Little Brain-Researchers
- 2nd Primary School of Amaliada , Amaiiada, Ileia, Peloponnese, February 5th 2018
- 50th Primary School of Patras, Patras, Achaia, February 7th 2018
- Primary School of Tholaria-Aigialis, Amorgos island, May 2018
The event includes a talk related to the structure and the function of the brain, a demonstration of a plastic model of the brain. Nerve cells and brain constructions made of plaster, paper, candles, stones etc. will be prepared by the little students.
Target audience: ~200 primary school pupils
- Brain… The Director of our life
- Junior High School of .Goumero, ileia, Peloponnese, February 2018
- Lyceum of Hellenic Women of Patras, Achaia, Peloponnese, April 27th, 2018
- Kentro prolepsis kallipolis Patra Achaia Peloponnese, February 2018 http://kpachaia.gr/
The event includes a talk relevant to the structure and function of the brain, with an emphasis on topics related to addiction, memory/learning, stress, sleep, neuroethics, empathy etc and an open discussion session.
Target audience: ~80 students and ~ 180 general population of various ages
- A School Day for the Brain, “OUR BRAIN”
- Conference and Culture Center of the University of Patras, March 18th, 2018
- Conference Centre Regional Unity, Pyrgos, Peloponnese, April 8th, 2018 (in collaboration with Dide ileias , http://web-dide.ilei.sch.gr/
The event includes short theatrical plays, music events, handcrafts, talks and posted announcements etc, concerning the human brain. Importantly, they are presented by the participating students. The specified themes will be chosen in advance of the event by the students from a list of various subjects, suggested by their teachers in collaboration with members of the HSfN.
Target audience: ~ 150 primary school pupils, ~ 400 secondary school students and ~ 300 general population of various ages
- Motherhood, fatherhood and family
Papaharalampeios Hall, Nafpaktos, March 18th, 2017
The event includes presentations from neuroscience researchers, high school students and church representative on motherhood, fatherhood and family.
Target audience: ~100 lyceum and high school students, ~300
- Brain and addiction: which road will you choose?
Manassakis Amphitheater, Student Center of the University of Crete, Heraklio, March 16th 2018
The aim of this event is to inform the public about the effects of alcohol, drugs and smoking on brain health. The scientific part of the conference will include presentations about the brain and neurophysiology. An emphasis will be given for alcohol, drug and smoking related topics, with the participation of University Professors and representatives of the KETHEA-ARIADNI (Therapy Center for the Dependent Individuals), a rehabilitation and social reintegration unit. The event will additionally include short theatrical plays and music events, presented by students from High schools. At the end of the event, gifts will be offered to participating students.
Target audience: 100 high school students and their families
- What’s in our head?
Natural History Museum of Crete (http://nhmc.uoc.gr/en), March 3rd, 2018
This event will include a presentation on how the brain works, how it participates in our feelings and decisions by neuroscience researchers, microscope demonstrations of brain structures and neurons, interactive sessions and role-playing games about our emotions and decisions.
Target audience: 50 grade school and middle school students and 50 general population
Η. Our Brains: Our Freedom and our Prison
2o SDE (School of Second Chance) Korydallou, Prison of Korydallos.
The event will include a presentation of a film/video related to brain function aiming at demonstrating main principles and current understanding of the brain and a talk followed by a discussion related to Addiction and/or common mental problems (e.g. depression).\
Target audience: ~50-70 students in the prison of Korydallos.
Ι. Neuroscience at school
Art School of Thessaloniki, April 17th, 2018
The event will include a presentation by Ass. Prof. M. Margariti about the functions of brain. Interaction of the students consists both on artistic and/or scientific projects.
Τarget audience: ~100 lyceum and high school students
Κ. Women in Neuroscience: book presentation of the book devoted to Prof. Christina Spyraki.
The event will take place in one of the bookstores of the city (possibly IANOS), April 18th, 2018.
The book will be presented by one representative of the Hellenic Society of Neuroscience and a representative of the Gender and Equality Committee of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. Music will be performed by local musicians.
Target audience: ~50 general audience